With over 365 Million iOS devices sold through March 30, it’s important to see how new updates will change the way we navigate the mobile world and also the ultimate affect it will have on local advertising. Who else would change our mobile experiences so dramatically then the one who truly started the mobile innovation in the first place. Here’s a quick summary on what today’s announcement of the new Apple IOS 6 means for SMB advertisers. Today Apple previewed iOS 6, introducing over 200 new features and released a beta version to iOS Developer Program members.
Summary of new iOS 6 features include:
- An all new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography,
- Turn-by-turn navigation and an amazing new Flyover view;
- New Siri® features, including support for more languages, easy access to sports scores, restaurant recommendations and movie listings;
- Facebook integration for Contacts and Calendar, with the ability to post directly from Notification Center, Siri and Facebook-enabled apps like Photos, Safari® and Maps;
- Shared Photo Streams via iCloud®;
- and Passbook, the simplest way to get all your passes in one place.
The 2 MOST relevant updates for SMB Advertisers:
1. Maps: local search on Apple devices will soon include information for over 100 million businesses with a beautifully designed info card. These info card pages on the new Apple map also integrates direction with Yelp ratings, reviews, available deals and photos. If you’re a local business – it’s even more important now to have an incredible online presence and customer ratings and reviews than it ever has been. If your business does not have any online local presence its still unclear as to how you’ll show up on iOS 6.
Now this also brings up a few unknown questions at this time as well.
- What sources is Apple getting this list of 100 million local businesses from?
- Is it a data feed from companies like InfoGroup?
- Is it via an Apple iOS Developer API?
- How can you ensure that your business’s ratings and reviews will show up on iOS 6 devices?
2. Siri: with integrations with Yelp and OpenTable restaurant owners will be happy to know that people can view ratings and reviews as well as schedule a reservation with just a click of a button and the help of Siri.
Obviously these are just two known features that will change systematically how consumers interact with their mobile devices and how as a SMB advertiser you can get generate new business via Apple’s iOS 6 release this fall. Stay tuned as more information is released on features that improve and expand advertising capabilities on all new Apple devices. This truly is just the tip of the iceberg, look out for many more mobile updates to enrich our experiences as a consumer and advertiser.